Sunday, January 20, 2013

Snow!


We awoke to a snowy morning which thrilled my children almost as much as the Great Wall did the day before.  We sat by the big picture window at breakfast again and watched a man sweep snow off the sidewalk with a handmade broom of twigs and branches---interesting contrast to the tall, modern buildings and huge, digital billboards.

Skyping with Katie made my day! Thanks, Katie, for posting my messages and photos to this site.  We knew Facebook, YouTube, etc. would be blocked, but apparently we don't have access to blogspot either.

We have arrived at the airport where security was thorough, but very quick.  They know how to move large numbers of people through very efficiently! (The plane was boarded very quickly, too.  No ambling here.) Necessary skill in a city of 21 million, I suppose.

We are now in Nanning. Beautiful city!

Faya's 2nd grade class happens to be learning about China just as we are traveling!  Here is a special message to them from Faya: I went to the Great Wall of China and I climbed all the way up it.  It was 1584 steps. Mom and I climbed like mountain goats. I raced down very, very fast.  I went to the Drum Tower and people played big round drums.  They play the drums at morning and at night to let people know what time it is.  The Chinese people like my hair.  For breakfast, I ate rice congee and fried noodles.  We are meeting my little sister tomorrow!

We are leaving the hotel around 3:30 tomorrow to meet Lily! Will post photos soon after!




4 comments:

  1. I love it! Did you get pictures of the drums?

    ReplyDelete
  2. drums, lots of drums. I knew there was a connection somewhere. Tell Faya to bang those drums when she gets a chance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Greenslits!! It is so wonderful to share your adventures with you blog-style! Your journey to pick up this precious child, Lily warms my heart and puts a grin on my face! :) I can't wait to welcome the new Greenslit family of 6 back stateside!

    love love,

    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. come on, come on . . . we can't wait to see the first photos! been checking every hour.

    ReplyDelete